Thursday, October 31, 2013

Book Review: First Kiss by Cindy M. Hogan


First Kiss
NOTE: I received the eARC via Netgalley.

When I requested this book I had no idea it would be so short. That was both a good and a bad thing. Good - it didn't take much time to finish. Probably an hour at max. Bad - it can't really classify as a book, can it? It's just four short chapters that leave you hanging.

To be honest, I couldn't really get to like the girl, Brooklyn, who is Mormon. I don't know if that makes any difference in the real world, but here it does. It's like all girls in the community were forbidden to even kiss before they turn 16, and the moment they do - they're on the guy market. Gah! It sounded so made up! Like - one day you're off limits, the next day everyone's all over you. Like wolves on pray. Honestly, it gave me the chills.

And Brooklyn was this super innocent, naive girl, who never gave a second thought for a guy's motives in asking her out. And she's only worried that he might attempt to kiss her. Seriously? What about rape her, huh? She doesn't heed the numerous warnings she receives. She only runs off to share them with her mom and ask for advice. Imagine what the mother says - not a warning, not to be cautious, but something along the lines of "It's okay honey, I'm sure he (Luke) isn't a bad boy." Right. Like we haven't heard that one before, but coming from the mother of a girl with absolutely NO dating experience? It's simply unacceptable.

I honestly can't recommend this bookie. Not on its own anyway. Now if all the 'episodes' get put together in a single book - where we could see the characters develop and so on - then perhaps it could turn out okay. For now, I don't think so.


My rating is 1/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely LOVE comments!!! So, if you stop by my blog, please leave me something nice :)

NOTE: I'm sorry for putting the CAPTCHA back up. I know it can be annoying, but I've gotten so many spam comments in the past week, it's not even funny.