Friday, September 27, 2013

Book Review: The Truth About You and Me by Amanda Grace


The Truth About You and Me

NOTE: I received my copy of this book through Netgalley.

The Truth surprised me. I had no idea that I'd like the letter style of writing but I really did. It was new and original and quite refreshing.

I liked that it wasn't a long book, so I could breeze through it. But the story baffled me. I honestly don't understand how things could progress and turn out the way they did.

For one, Bennett, being a teacher and all, should've take notice how young Maddy actually looked like. And, if he was all that interested in her, wouldn't he, you know, make a little research on who she was - since she was his student? You know what I mean? After all, he seemed to be determined to be legal, so for his own sake, he should've checked her records for himself. After all, people are often dishonest if they want to catch a prize no matter the cost. Because of Bennett's own carelessness he lost a lot, learning his lesson the hard way.

I didn't like how Maddy wanted to take all the responsibility on her shoulders, even though she did put Bennett in that awful situation. Yes, he was the victim, true, but he could've saved himself a whole lot of trouble, had he just used some common sense. Still, Maddy did play him pretty bad.

As much as I liked the story, I can't say the same for Maddy. She was supposed to be this super smart girl, going to college at 16 and all, but she lacked any sense of right and wrong. She was selfish and a liar. She told Bennett she loved him, yet, if you really love somebody you'd do anything to NOT hurt them. She did the exact opposite. She not only hurt him emotionally, she almost completely ruined his reputation and carrier!

I just wonder where her parents were in all this. They seemed to be involved to the point of trusting her so much that they didn't really ask the right questions. Ever. They never really paid attention to her lies, her change in clothes/character/schedule. She was getting home later and later, but who actually cared?

Then of course, everyone rushed to blame Bennett. Poor guys, seriously. I know how most novels feature an ultimate bad boy (a.k.a. a player), but Bennett was so far from that sort of image it's not even funny.

I'm not exactly sure whether to recommend this book. It's not that it was good or bad exactly. It was rather average. But if I'd known what would happen in the end, I don't think I would've read it at all.

My rating is: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely LOVE comments!!! So, if you stop by my blog, please leave me something nice :)

NOTE: I'm sorry for putting the CAPTCHA back up. I know it can be annoying, but I've gotten so many spam comments in the past week, it's not even funny.