Thursday, February 7, 2013

Guest post - How It All Began: My Own Persistence of Vision, author Liesel K. Hill


I’ve told the story of how I came up with the concept for this story several times, but that’s not quite the same as how it all began.
The persistence of vision most writers experience is less an after image and more the persistence of an idea. When a plot or character starts knocking around in our brains, we’re compelled to get it down on paper.
Something similar happened to me with Persistence of Vision. After I conceived Maggie’s storyline, I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I felt the story wasn’t complete, but that didn’t stop me from thinking about it. When I start to obsess about a story, it’s really difficult to back-burner it until after I’ve written it.
By the time David’s storyline materialized, which rounded out the plot line nicely, there was no way I couldn’t write it. At the time, I had just finished up my first historical fiction and had plenty of other projects I knew I “should” work on, but Interchron just wouldn’t wait. The vision of it persisted in my head, refusing to leave me alone.
So, I abandoned myself to it and wrote, sending chapters to my critique group week after week. And a good think I did, too. It was my first novel that got picked up for publication and came out at a time when both New Adult and dystopian literature are garnering a lot of attention. In other words, at the perfect time.
So, what’s the moral of the story? Don’t ignore your persistence of vision, whether it’s the echo of a lost memory like Maggie’s, or just a story waiting to present itself to the eyes of the world. It may just spell you life’s greatest success. Happy writing, Everyone! ;D

Website: Interchron.tateauthor.com
Goodreads Author Page: goodreads.com/lieselkhill

2 comments:

  1. Love this guest post! It is always great to hear how an author wound up writing the story they did. As a writer, I totally understand the nagging that comes when a character's story just blooms in your mind. I haven't read this book (yet!), but I definitely like the sound of a new adult dystopian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this Guest Post and am so excited to read Persistence of Vision for the tour! Great looking blog too!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely LOVE comments!!! So, if you stop by my blog, please leave me something nice :)

NOTE: I'm sorry for putting the CAPTCHA back up. I know it can be annoying, but I've gotten so many spam comments in the past week, it's not even funny.