Friday, May 11, 2012

Follow Friday #16





Photobucket

Follow Me Friday is a book meme hosted by Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read. #FF is a blog hop that expands your blog following by a joint effort between bloggers. In order to join in the fun, all you need is well . . . A book blog :)


The question this week is:

This Sunday in the US is Mother's Day. What are some of your favorite books with strong mother/child relationships?


My answer:

  I honestly can't think of one. I even scrolled down my read list, but not even one title jumped out at me as "I am the one". Mostly, the books I've read have some relationship mother/child, but I can't really call it strong. Or it has been strong at some point, but in the present time it isn't. Does that even make sense?


There are a couple that do strike a cord, but not in the way you mean. For example, there's "Interrupted: Life beyond words", where the mother wasn't entirely sane, and the daughter - Ali - at 13 I think, was doing everything in her power to just keep the mother alive and happy for as long as she could. The woman who adopted Ali afterwards tried her best to give the girl the love that lacked in her life. It was only in the end however, that there was any progress in that department, since Ali was feeling rebellious the entire 5 years of her life with her new mother. 


Then another book I think of is "Emerald City", where Olivia and her mom used to have a great relationship - always depending on each other -  until the mom took her own life. That left Liv depressed to the point that she attempted doing the same. 


And then, though it isn't a YA book, there's "Somebody to Love", which was an amazing story of the love of a mother. Parker was always ready to sacrifice herself for the good of her mischievous son. Even to put up with all the crap she got from her dad.


Well, those are my choices, what are yours?

Please leave links to your FF's, so I can stop by!!

Follow up note:  

I actually thought of a book with a strong mother/child relationship. The Little Women series by Louisa May Alcott is a great example of the love a mother can have for all of her children. And of course the respective response of the girls. That's truly an amazing series and I can't believe I forgot to mention it!!!

17 comments:

  1. This was a tough question! I don't know any of the ones you mentioned, but it was kind of the same for me; a lot of books have relationships between mother/child that aren't necessarily strong, but either were or are still poignant.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choices! I haven't heard of any of them, but they seem great! I really wish there were more books with mother/child relationships. :)

    My FF Post

    -Riya (The Teen Book Guru)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggled with this question too, I haven't read the books you've listed tough. I ended up picking The Illustrated Mum by Jacquline Wilson even though it's not exactly a strong relationship.

    My FF Post

    Have a good weekend, Lauren
    Northern Plunder"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggled as well! Most parents are absent in the books I read, both adult and YA. Which is kinda sad.

    Here's my Friday Hops

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a tough question. You had some great choices. I am a new GFC follower. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a tough question!
    I have never even heard of any of your choices. Maybe I'll have to look into them:)
    New follower:)
    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following!

      I know my choices aren't well known, but they are great books :)

      Delete
  7. Oh! I just have to add this! I have been trying to remember the name of the book Grave Mercy for like a week and I come here and there it is on your sidebar just waiting for me! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, you know I had been thinking that it's time to take this banner out already. But after your comment, I think I'd let it stay a little while longer :) Glad I helped!

      Delete
  8. There are just so few good ones in modern ya books besides Harry Potter! I agree! I went with a classic for mine.http://www.deadtreesandsilverscreens.com/2012/05/follow-me-friday-may-11.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of one of the books you mentioned. -_-
    But your answers seem interesting ;)
    Thanks for dropping by !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great choices! I need to look into those books.
    Happy Weekend :)

    Old email follower (amugglesmagicalbookblog at yahoo)

    The Muggle
    Nominate Your Book Boyfriend

    ReplyDelete
  11. THis weeks question was soooo hard!

    new follower :)
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sucks how hard it is to think of strong parental figures in YA novels. John Green's books always have great parents in them!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm following you now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think I've read any of those 3 books that you picked out. I will have to see what they are about and how their mother/child relationship is. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier, returning some of the love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also had a hard time choosing. And I've seen a lot of people choose this book! I'll have to check it out ;)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely LOVE comments!!! So, if you stop by my blog, please leave me something nice :)

NOTE: I'm sorry for putting the CAPTCHA back up. I know it can be annoying, but I've gotten so many spam comments in the past week, it's not even funny.